Celebration of the Arts began in 1972 and is a 13 day festival of the arts. In its 42nd year, Celebration has grown to represent one of the largest juried sacred art shows in the country. It features artists from throughout the region in a variety of mediums including oils, acrylic, watercolor, sculpture, fiber, photography, and more. During the 13 day festival there are many individual events including concerts, drama, and art activities.
September 7 - October 12 - Celebration of the Arts: Fall Preview Exhibit
February 30-31, 2015 - Artwork received from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
February 2, 2015 - Notification Cards Mailed
February 6, 2015 - Artists' Reception from 7:00 - 9:00 pm, open to the public
February 7 - 17, 2015 - Show open to the public from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
February 8, 2015 - Gallery Walk from 9:30 - 10:30 am
February 11, 2015 - Gallery Walk from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
February 18, 2015 - Show open to the public from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
February 18, 2015 - Off the Wall Party from 4:00 - 7:00 pm
February 18, 2015 - Ash Wednesday Service at 6:00 pm
More information to come this fall.
• Celebration of the Arts: Fall Preview Exhibit With the goal of bringing community awareness to our annual Celebration of the Arts show, select artist participants were invited to exhibit in a Fall Preview show. Held concurrently with ArtPrize, the show is open to the public during regular church hours.
• The 2014 Gallery is now online. Click here >>
• The 2014 Awards have been selected. Click here >>
• The 2014 Artists have been selected. Click here >>
• Our Congregation´s Choice Selection is the watercolor, "In Touch with the Elders of Chartres" by Alan Adsmond. This piece will hang in Wesley Hall for everyone to enjoy.
• The 2014 Special Series Flyer has been mailed and is available online. Click here >>
• The 2014 Entry Form has been mailed and is available online. Click here >>
• The 2014 Juror has been selected.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list for Celebration, please submit the "Join The Mailing List" form below or contact Ruth Strohmer, Mailing Coordinator
at email@example.com. Please indicate if you are an artist. PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS!.
Friday, February 6 from 7:00 - 9:00 pm in Wesley Hall
Presentation of awards, jazz, and special desserts! Open to the public.
Celebration of the Arts Gallery Opening
Saturday, February 7 at 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Gallery Walk-through Celebration of the Arts
Sunday, February 8 at 9:30 am in Wesley Hall
Wednesday, February 11 at 12:00 pm in Wesley Hall
Experience this year´s show through the special insight of Nancy Clouse, artist and faculty member from Grand Rapids Community College.
Ash Wednesday Service
Wednesday, February 18, 6:00 pm in the sanctuary
A service featuring music of Taizé in a reflective and solemn setting.
We look forward to having you with us!
Oils, acrylics, watercolors, prints, drawings, sculpture, ceramics, fiber, textiles, collage, photography, multi-media, etc.
$20.00 for the first entry, $10.00 for the second entry. Entries are limited to two pieces per person. Make checks payable to: First United Methodist Church (FUMC) Arts Council.
1. Work should express a religious or spiritual quality. A note of
explanation may be attached for the juror?s use.
2. All works must be dry and ready for presentation.
3. Two-dimensional work must be framed and ready to hang with proper hangers and wire.
4. No unframed glass will be accepted.
5. Works to be hung must not exceed 5 ft. x 7 ft. and should weigh no more than 30 lbs.
6. No slides of artwork will be accepted.
7. No prints will be accepted. Original artwork only.
SALE OF WORK
Works may be sold. FUMC Arts Council takes no commission. Those works not for sale (NFS) must be so marked.
Entries will be handled with all possible care. FUMC will not be
responsible for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever.
1. Download the Entry Form Click here >>
2. Fill out and attach the identification cards to the back upper left corner of each entry.
3. Deliver the cards with the artwork (do not mail) to FUMC, 227 Fulton St E, Grand Rapids, MI (use back parking lot entry) January 30 - 31 between 10 am - 4 pm. See website or call (616) 451.2879 in case of bad weather.
For shipping instructions, contact Carol McNally, Associate Director of Music and the Arts, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pieces must be received by Thursday, January 29, 2015 to be entered into the show.
Notification cards will be mailed Monday, February 2.
PICK UP PROCEDURE
Entries not selected must be picked up February 4 - 6 between 10 am - 6 pm. Selected entries should be picked up February 19 - 20 between 10 am - 6 pm. All entries must be picked up by the artist or artist representative with the mailed notification card.