Celebration of the Arts began in 1972 and is a 13 day festival of the arts. In its 42nd year, Celebration has grown to represent one of the largest juried sacred art shows in the country. It features artists from throughout the region in a variety of mediums including oils, acrylic, watercolor, sculpture, fiber, photography, and more. During the 13 day festival there are many individual events including concerts, drama, and art activities.
January 30-31, 2015 - Artwork received from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
February 2, 2015 - Notification Cards Mailed
February 6, 2015 - Artists' Reception from 7:00 - 9:00 pm, open to the public
February 7 - 17, 2015 - Show open to the public from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
February 8, 2015 - Gallery Walk from 9:30 - 10:30 am
February 11, 2015 - Gallery Walk from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
February 18, 2015 - Show open to the public from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
February 18, 2015 - Off the Wall Party from 4:00 - 7:00 pm
February 18, 2015 - Ash Wednesday Service at 6:00 pm
For five decades, Edee Joppich has shared her gifts with others through her paintings, teaching, jurying, and mentoring aspiring artists of all ages. Jurying exhibits (over 190 to date) is a challenge Edee loves. In 1980, Joppich's Bay Street Gallery opened in Northport Michigan, showing many of Michigan´s finest artists. Edee continues to serve as curator, director and Artist in Residence of the gallery, welcoming visitors from the U.S. and from countries around the world. She received a Bachelor of Fine Art degree from Marygrove College in Detroit, followed by graduate studies at Wayne State University in Detroit. Edee has received many awards and honors including a fellowship in the International Society of Experimental Artists, a Signature membership in the National Collage Society, an Artist in Residency from the city of Farmington Hills, Michigan, and was named a Distinguished Alumni of Marygrove College. She has received awards in exhibits nationwide. Visit her website at www.edeejoppich.com for more information.
• The 2015 Entry Form has been mailed and is available online. Click here >>
• The 2015 Juror has been selected.
• Celebration of the Arts: Fall Preview Exhibit With the goal of bringing community awareness to our annual Celebration of the Arts show, select artist participants were invited to exhibit in a Fall Preview show. Held concurrently with ArtPrize, the show is open to the public during regular church hours.
• The 2014 Gallery is now online. Click here >>
• The 2014 Awards have been selected. Click here >>
• The 2014 Artists have been selected. Click here >>
• Our Congregation´s Choice Selection is the watercolor, "In Touch with the Elders of Chartres" by Alan Adsmond. This piece will hang in Wesley Hall for everyone to enjoy.
• The 2014 Special Series Flyer has been mailed and is available online. Click here >>
If you would like to be added to our mailing list for Celebration, please submit the "Join The Mailing List" form below or contact Ruth Strohmer, Mailing Coordinator
at email@example.com. Please indicate if you are an artist. PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS!.
Artists´ Reception — Open to the Public
• Friday, February 6 from 7:00 - 9:00 pm in Wesley Hall
Presentation of awards, jazz, and special desserts!
Celebration Sunday Worship
• Sunday, February 8 at 9:15 and 11:00 am
Rev. Neil Davis, Senior Pastor of Hope United Methodist Church in Southfield, Michigan will be our guest preacher. Our music will feature the captivating style of Edye Evans Hyde, popular local jazz vocalist.
Gallery Walk-Through Celebration of the Arts
• Sunday, February 8 from 9:30 - 10:30 am
• Wednesday, February 11 from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
All adults are invited to experience this year´s show through the special insight of Nancy Clouse, artist and retired faculty member from Grand Rapids Community College.
"Scenes from a Gallery" — Organ Concert featuring Eric Strand
• Sunday, February 8 at 3:00 pm
Eric Strand, Director of Music and Arts, and guest musicians will present a concert on First Church´s restored four manual, 68 Rank Möller /Buck pipe organ. Featured on the program is a suite by Craig Phillips titled "Scenes from a Gallery" for violin, flute and organ inspired by particular paintings and sculpture that will be projected during the performance.
"A Taste of Celebration"
• Saturday, February 14 from 4:30 - 6:30 pm
Stroll the gallery and sample from tasting tables. Make this your first stop on a romantic Valentine´s Day evening. Phil Pletcher will provide romantic piano stylings. Suggested donation: $3.00 per person.
Celebration Sunday Worship
• Sunday, February 15 at 9:15 and 11:00 am
Join us for worship on the last Sunday after the Epiphany for a dynamic worship service featuring a dixieland band presenting jazz music in the New Orleans tradition of Mardi gras.
The Calvin College Gospel Choir in Concert
• Sunday, February 15 at 3:00 pm
The Calvin College Gospel Choir is "not just" a choir; it´s a worship experience. This enthusiastic, engaging, and upbeat inspirational ensemble has been labeled the most diverse musical ensemble on campus. Representing Calvin College and its varied worship styles, the Gospel Choir is a ministry that strives to proclaim the word of God in song. Join us for a joyous and uplifting time of praise and worship!
We look forward to having you with us!
Oils, acrylics, watercolors, prints, drawings, sculpture, ceramics, fiber, textiles, collage, photography, multi-media, etc.
$20.00 for the first entry, $10.00 for the second entry. Entries are limited to two pieces per person. Make checks payable to: First United Methodist Church (FUMC) Arts Council.
1. Work should express a religious or spiritual quality. A note of
explanation may be attached for the juror´s use.
2. All works must be dry and ready for presentation.
3. Two-dimensional work must be framed and ready to hang with proper hangers and wire.
4. No unframed glass will be accepted.
5. Works to be hung must not exceed 5 ft. x 7 ft. and should weigh no more than 30 lbs.
6. No slides of artwork will be accepted.
7. No prints will be accepted. Original artwork only.
SALE OF WORK
Works may be sold. FUMC Arts Council takes no commission. Those works not for sale (NFS) must be so marked.
Entries will be handled with all possible care. FUMC will not be
responsible for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever.
1. Download the Entry Form Click here >>
2. Fill out and attach the identification cards to the back upper left corner of each entry.
3. Deliver the cards with the artwork (do not mail) to FUMC, 227 Fulton St E, Grand Rapids, MI (use back parking lot entry) January 30 - 31 between 10 am - 4 pm. See website or call (616) 451.2879 in case of bad weather.
For shipping instructions, contact Carol McNally, Associate Director of Music and the Arts, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pieces must be received by Thursday, January 29, 2015 to be entered into the show.
Notification cards will be mailed Monday, February 2.
PICK UP PROCEDURE
Entries not selected must be picked up February 4 - 6 between 10 am - 6 pm. Selected entries should be picked up February 19 - 20 between 10 am - 6 pm. All entries must be picked up by the artist or artist representative with the mailed notification card.