Celebration of the Arts began in 1972 and is a 13 day festival of the arts. In its 40th year, Celebration has grown to represent one of the largest juried sacred art shows in the country. It features artists from throughout the region in a variety of mediums including oils, acrylic, watercolor, sculpture, fiber, photography, and more. During the 13 day festival there are many individual events including concerts, drama, and art activities.
January 25 -26, 2013 - Artwork received from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
January 29, 2013 - Notification Cards Mailed
February 1, 2013 - Artists' Reception from 7:00 - 9:00 pm, open to the public
February 2 - 12, 2013 - Show open to the public from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
February 2, 2013 - Celebration of the Arts Gala Opening:
James Croom in Concert at 3:00 pm
February 3, 2013 - Gallery Walk from 9:30 - 10:30 am
February 6, 2013 - Gallery Walk from 12:00 - 1:00 pm
February 10, 2013 - The Hildegard Singers with Early Music Michigan at 4:00 pm
February 13, 2013 - Show open to the public from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
February 13, 2013 - Off the Wall Party from 4:00 - 7:00 pm
February 13, 2013 - Ash Wednesday Service at 7:00 pm
is a lifelong artist who works in a wide range of media from photography to cast metals. An Associate
Professor of Art at Albion College, he teaches
courses in Photography, Digital Art, and Sculpture. His work reflects his interest in the issues of want and need as expressed in human shelter and landscape. As our Celebration 2013 juror, Professor Wahl anticipates viewing works in a wide range of media and
approaches dealing with the many facets of spirituality in art..
• The 2013 Gallery is now online. Click here >>
• Our People´s Choice Selection is "The Path Changer," by George Peebles. This piece will hang in Wesley Hall for everyone to enjoy.
• The 2013 Awards have been selected. Click here >>
• The 2013 Artists have been selected. Click here >>
• The 2013 Special Series Flyer has been mailed and is available online. Click here >>
• The 2013 Entry Form has been mailed and is available online. Click here >>
• The 2013 Juror has been selected.
• The 2012 Photo Gallery has been published here >>
• The list of 2012 Selected Artists and Art is now available online. Click here >>
• The list of 2012 Award Winners are now online. Click here >>
If you would like to be added to our mailing list for Celebration, please submit the "Join The Mailing List" form below or contact Ruth Strohmer, Mailing Coordinator
at email@example.com. Please indicate if you are an artist. PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS!.
Invitational Guest Exhibit: Artists Creating Together (ACT)
ACT brings students with disabilities together with artists and art projects. The confidence and the breakthroughs achieved through art help clients move from being at risk students to successful young people who can make a positive contribution to our greater Grand Rapids community. ACT is the largest non-profit organization in Michigan bringing artists, art projects, teachers, and students with disabilities together. Last year, ACT helped nearly 8,500 individuals celebrate, succeed, and grow with art.
Friday, February 1 from 7:00 - 9:00 pm in Wesley Hall
Presentation of awards, jazz, and special desserts! Open to the public.
Celebration of the Arts Gala Opening:
James Croom in Concert
Saturday, February 2 at 3:00 pm in the sanctuary
Join us for an afternoon of song with tenor, James Croom. Croom´s powerful and expressive voice coupled with his abundant warmth makes for an afternoon to remember. Our own Eric Strand will accompany him at the piano.
Gallery Walk-through Celebration of the Arts
Sunday, February 3 at 9:30 am in Wesley Hall
Wednesday, February 6 at 12:00 pm in Wesley Hall
Experience this year´s show through the special insight of Nancy Clouse, artist and faculty member from Grand Rapids Community College.
TaizÉ Sung Prayer Service
Wednesday, February 6 at 7:00 in the sanctuary
Taizé worship consists of simple choruses, which are repeated many times and are often accompanied by instruments and vocal solos. Interspersed between the music are prayers, scripture, and periods of silence. Communion, prayers for healing, and the lighting of candles are also offered at each service. These meditative services are open to all people and are a wonderful way to connect with God in the midst of a busy week.
The Hildegard Singers with Early Music Michigan
Sunday, February 10 at 4:00 pm in the sanctuary
Based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, The Hildegard Singers, Linn Maxwell, Barbara McCargar, Diane Penning and Lisa Walhout, each have outstanding solo careers and have come together to celebrate the hauntingly beautiful music of Hildegard of Bingen. Early Music Michigan is dedicated to the lively and historically informed performance of music of an earlier age. Artistic Director, Eric Strand, leads the ensemble in early Spanish music of Pilgrimage.
Ash Wednesday Service
Wednesday, February 13, 7:00 pm in the sanctuary
This is a traditional service including the imposition of ashes.
We look forward to having you with us!
Oils, acrylics, watercolors, prints, drawings, sculpture, ceramics, fiber, textiles, collage, photography, multi-media, etc.
$20.00 for the first entry, $10.00 for the second entry. Entries are limited to two pieces per person. Make checks payable to: FUMC Arts Council
1. Works should express a religious or spiritual quality. A note of explanation may be attached for the juror's use.
2. All works must be dry and ready for presentation.
3. Two dimensional work must be framed and ready to hang with proper hangers and wire.
4. No unframed glass will be accepted.
5. Artwork must not have been entered in a previous Celebration show.
6. No slides of artwork will be accepted.
7. No prints will be accepted. Original artwork only.
SALE OF WORK
Works may be sold. FUMC Arts Council takes no commission. Those works not for sale (NFS) must be so marked.
Entries will be handled with all possible care. First United Methodist Church will not be responsible for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever.
1. Download and fill out the entry form. Click here >>
2. Fill out and attach the Identification Cards to the back upper left corner of each entry.
3. Deliver the cards and artwork to First United Methodist Church, 227 East Fulton Street, Grand Rapids, MI on Friday or Saturday, January 25 - 26, 2013 between 10:00 - 4:00 pm.
Contact Deborah May, Associate Director of Music and the Arts, at firstname.lastname@example.org for shipping instructions. Pieces must be received by Thursday, January 24, 2013 to be entered into the show.
Eric Strand, Director of Music and the Arts
First United Methodist Church